Land Rover have officially launched their latest luxury SUV and its a beauty. If you’ve got a spare $70,300 – $135,400 then you may have just found your next car. If you’re really keen, you’ll pony up the extra cash for a unique First Edition priced from $167, 600.
Land Rover Chief Design Officer, Gerry McGovern said,
“We call the Velar the avant garde Range Rover. It brings a new dimension of glamour, modernity and elegance to the brand. The Range Rover Velar changes everything.”
In an real less is more kind of way, the design is refined, minamalist and elegant while also being tough, which is an incredibly hard balance to strike. Land Rover describes this design as compelling, stand-out design features perfectly optimised proportions, powerful, taut surfaces and a stunning silhouette.
The car is available in no less than 6 powertrains ranging from an efficient 132kW 2.0-litre Ingenium diesel with CO2 emissions from only 142g/km, to the beefy 280kW supercharged 3.0-litre V6 petrol engine powers the Velar to 100km/h in just 5.7 seconds before reaching an electronically-limited top speed of 250km/h.
There’s also copious amounts of technology on-board including a full suite of advanced safety systems including Autonomous Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection, Reverse Traffic Detection, and Driver Condition Monitoring.
A new the new Touch Pro Duo infotainment system features two 10″ high-definition touchscreens integrated seamlessly behind secret-until-lit surfaces. These slim, intuitive displays work in harmony with the cabin architecture while adding an overall sense of modernity congruent with the vehicle’s exterior design.
Rover has borrowed Tesla’s idea of retractable door handles to help reduce drag. The flush deployable door handles emphasise Velar’s reductive, sculptured form, and contribute to the low drag coefficient of only 0.32 – this is the most aerodynamically-efficient Land Rover ever produced.
There are five elements that define the Range Rover Velar:
Driven by reduction: Stripping away complexity to reveal true quality
- Designed and engineered with an unwavering belief in ‘reductionism’
- Luxurious, spacious interior is a calm sanctuary, combining elegant simplicity with premium materials and beautiful details such as hidden-until-lit controls
The fourth Range Rover: The next revolution in SUV design, with precision in every detail
- Fills the ‘white space’ between Range Rover Evoque and Range Rover Sport
- Born from reductionism, Range Rover Velar articulates technology-enabled design to provide the next logical step in broadening the Range Rover portfolio
A bloodline like no other: Respecting Range Rover’s unrivalled heritage
- Almost fifty years of Range Rover pedigree provides the confidence to aim higher, go further and allow customers to make more of their world
- Royalty of the SUV world, Range Rover heritage began with the original Velar prototypes of 1969
Establishing the trends of tomorrow: A new Range Rover statement of innovation
- Continuing Range Rover’s history of innovation, Velar incorporates advanced technologies, compelling design and absolute attention to detail
- State-of-the-art Touch Pro Duo infotainment system, super-slim matrix-laser LED headlights, flush deployable door handles and Burnished Copper-coloured detailing embody the trends of tomorrow
Refined for every occasion: Exceeding expectations with Land Rover’s legendary capability on all terrains
- All the refinement customers expect together with Land Rover’s unrivalled capability on every terrain around the world
- Exceptional on-road performance and agility combined with outstanding ride quality and composure