Today is a great day for Xbox One owners and live in Australia. The public preview of OneGuide in Australia will enable Xbox One users to experience premium live TV features on Xbox One. OneGuide provides an enhanced TV watching experience, enabling the combination of live, free-to-air, television with apps and other great features of the Xbox One.
Ever since the Xbox One was announced with it’s HDMI in port, our minds turned to the possibilities afforded by that. One of the best experiences possible was of course connecting your DVR and watching TV through your Xbox. This is especially beneficial when you want to multitask and snap the TV to the side of the screen while playing a game.
Xbox will also bring their Xbox One Digital TV Tuner to Australia for those that don’t have or don’t want to connect another tuner-enabled device. The Xbox One Digital TV Tuner in March 2015 and will retail at A$39.95. This is significantly lower than the competition, the PSTV costs A$149 to add TV capabilities to the PS4. Pre-orders from the Microsoft store and other retailers start today.
Some key features of OneGuide include:
- Favourite Channels in OneGuide: Create your own personal favourites in OneGuide so you can more quickly choose what you want to watch.
- Channel Tuning by Voice: OneGuide allows you to call out your favourite TV channel by name and start watching it instantly*.
- TV Listings in the OneGuide: Navigate TV listings using the controller or with Kinect Voice* control – e.g. say “Xbox show guide, what’s on Channel 7?” – to quickly navigate directly to that channel’s listings for free-to-air TV. Listings are available in both full screen and mini-guide, with the option of parental controls.
- TV Playback in Snap Mode: You can now watch TV using the Snap mode, watching TV on the side and leaving the main screen for games, Skype, or other applications.
- OneGuide on SmartGlass: You will have access to the OneGuide listings on the new Xbox One SmartGlass Beta app with the ability to change channels on your TV. You can download this app from the marketplace or store on your mobile device.
- TV On Demand: TV listings in OneGuide will indicate which shows are available on demand from video apps.
One feature of the new digital TV Tuner, is the streaming of TV across a home network to a smartphone or tablet using the Xbox One SmartGlass app, allowing you to pause, rewind and fast forward TV. The feature also allows users to watch TV on a device within your home and game on the Xbox console simultaneously.
It’s clear Microsoft believe this kind of experience is key to them owning the living room.
OneGuide and the TV Tuner are the latest features that Xbox is adding to provide the most innovative and comprehensive entertainment experience in Australian living rooms. Complementing existing features such as voice control*, DLNA streaming, Live TV Pass-through, 3D Blu-Ray, biometric sign-in, control of other devices via IR Blasting, Snap and SmartGlass to name but a few.
To get the OneGuide update, all you need to do is be part of the Xbox Preview Program, and you’ll see the option to configure OneGuide today. For more information on the preview program – click here.