Blackmagic Design have been very busy at NAB 2013. They announced no less than 9 new products which contain a number of major upgrades to their existing product lines and improved integration with AutoDesk and Adobe software.
Probably the most exciting news was the introduction of a new model, the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K. The Production Camera 4K is a new high resolution 4K digital film camera with an innovative large Super 35 size sensor with professional global shutter, combined with precision EF mount optics and all for just US$3,995.
One of the biggest issues with 4K TV is the lack of content, but with a camera as portable and cheap as this one, that isn’t going to be an issue for long. The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K shoots to high quality compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ) files in 4K, which translates to seriously high resolution video which you can expect to see turn up in music videos, television shows, television commercials, sports, documentaries, news stories, interviews and even feature films.
The new Blackmagic Production Camera 4K also supports the new 6G-SDI video connection out so it can be used on live video production. The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K has been designed with portability and durability in mind. All the standard connections are available as well as an internal battery, housed inside a beautiful machined aluminium design.
On the back, you’ll find a high resolution LCD display to shows settings like shutter speed, color temperature, aperture and timecode. The screen is also a capacitive touchscreen, meaning you can leave interact directly with the UI to change settings such as recording format, shutter angle and more. The touchscreen also allows users to enter important metadata that is compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
With a large Super 35 size sensor, cinematographers get familiar framing and behaviour from the lenses they already own. This camera sensor features a global shutter and its large size allows minimal crop factor so cinematographers get nice wide angle shots from their wide angle lenses. When working in HD customers can use the high resolution images to reframe and zoom into shots without any quality loss.
With the built in EF compatible lens mount there is a wide choice of optics to take advantage of the large Super 35 size sensor without cropping. Cinematographers get the choice of the world’s most amazing optics from leading lens crafters like Canon, Zeiss and more, with full electronic control. The EF compatible lens mount means customers are not locked into a specific lens and even professional cinema lenses with EF mount with professional rails and follow focus accessories can be used.
The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K easily captures 4K in compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ) using the built in high speed SSD recorder. Once the shoot has wrapped, the disk can be connected to a computer for editing or color correction of the shots straight from the disk, which can be formatted in either HFS+ or ExFAT for Mac and Windows compatibility.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K uses standard connections, so customers do not need to worry about sourcing custom cables. The camera features 6G-SDI output that can be down-converted to HD or used for amazing quality Ultra HD video. In addition, the device includes a built-in Thunderbolt port and UltraScope software for real time waveform monitoring. For audio you get 1/4” jack mic/line inputs plus 12V to 30V DC input, a 3.5mm headphone socket and LANC remote control. And with a built-in uncompressed audio recorder you can eliminate post audio synching altogether.
“Customers have been asking us to design a camera with global shutter and a large sensor. With the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K we have delivered that, plus the high resolution needed for the latest Ultra HD production work,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “This is a very exciting camera and it produces amazing looking pictures that we are sure everyone will love. It’s going to allow Ultra HD programming to be simple and easy!”
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Key Features
- Large high resolution 4K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality EF mount lenses.
- Built in SSD recorder allows long duration recording onto solid state disks.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as Apple ProRes and compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Features all standard connections, including jack mic/line audio in, 6G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, Thunderbolt, LANC remote control and standard DC 12 power connection.
- Built in touch screen LCD for camera settings and metadata entry compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Includes UltraScope software for live scopes via the built in Thunderbolt connection.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve color grading software.
Availability and Price
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will be available in July for US$3,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.