Australia’s scientific organisation, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) has opened applications for a free 10-week program known as Innovate To Grow. This offers businesses a chance to identify the R&D opportunities required to make the most of Australia’s energy transition.
There are endless opportunities for ideas that will solve the energy challenges of tomorrow.
Through the program you will also be exposed to industry knowledge, hear from innovation and industry experts and work with a sector or R&D mentor. It’s a great opportunity to work alongside other like-minded SMEs and build your networks.
Applications are open to sSmall to medium-sized businesses interested in understanding their research and development (R&D) opportunities or are in the early decision-making stages about engaging in an R&D project with a research organisation but are not quite sure where to start.
Ideally, applicants will be working in one of the following sectors:
- Energy storage and batteries
- Energy data systems
- Low emissions tech
- Energy resources
The selection criteria are:
- An Australian registered and operating business.
- A business classified as small to medium (less than 200 employees).
- A business currently, or in the early stages of, exploring R&D opportunities for their business.
Other considerations include:
- Currently working, or interested in expanding into the energy sector.
- Any other information provided to support your application.
- Have a clear need to develop your skills in R&D.
If you manage to get accepted, you will participate in a 3-phase program over 10 weeks, beginning with a mandatory half-day workshop, followed by a 60-day online self-paced program. The estimated time commitment is approximately 2-3 hours per week.
Key Program Outcomes include the following:
- Personalised support to refine your idea: We’ll step you through the process of turning your idea into a viable research project.
- Confidential feedback: All submissions through the program portal will receive prompt expert feedback.
- Mentor: You will be paired with a energy researcher to help connect you with the relevant specialists.
- Build your network: You will build key contacts in your sector, including researchers at CSIRO and universities, domain experts, funding professionals and other SMEs.
There are 25-30 places available and these typically go quickly, so if you’re interested best act fast.
Here are some quotes from previous participants of the program.
It’s been a good program and I would recommend it to those that can create the time. The process and templates have been great in giving us some structure to approaching R&D and I feel this was most useful for us and would be so for others in our position.Jared Cunningham, Director, Ravin
The perfect solution in the current times. Innovation can provide a path out of the current COVID induced slump and reposition Australia as a smart nation into the future. Nobody knows their product/markets and how to improve them like SME’s, they just don’t have the resources to develop them. This course taps that knowledge rich base and links with the resources.Hamish Shaw, GM Bellata Gold Milling
I believe the program is a great way to distil and crystalize a specific project scope. Regardless of funding opportunities the ability to narrow down the scope of a potential project is extremely valuable.Chris Pistilli, Lead Consultant, Synergy Managed
I found the program rewarding, enjoyable and thought provoking. It may not be a good fit for every organisation but for those looking to understand more about developing a process of innovation and learning how to engage with research institutes it was very useful.Julian Fay, Chief Technology Corporation, Senetas