If you’re a Windows Phone owner, specifically a Lumia device owner (formerly Nokia, now Microsoft), you should head to Phone Update under settings. Rolling out now is the latest firmware release to enable new functionality. The update has been rolling out on new devices, but now existing owners can experience the new features.
Here’s the highlights of the release:
- Cortana: Your virtual personal assistant’s improvements include natural-language scenarios, snooze times for reminders, and the ability to chat with her in your car via car-kit integration. Originally available in the U.S., Cortana will now also be available in China and the UK in “beta” and in “alpha” in Australia, Canada India, France, Italy, Germany and Spain.
- “Hey Cortana” Voice Activation (enabled by SensorCore): Simply say “Hey Cortana” while the Lumia phone is in an idle state and Cortana will be activated. No need to press the microphone button. This feature will be available for Lumia 930, Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520.
- Live Folders: On your Start screen, organize your most-needed apps into folders (such as “News” and “Games”) so you can access them with one tap.
- Glance screen: The newly updated Glance Screen will also be able to show fitness and other health-related activity from MSN’s Health and Fitness app.
- Improved IE: Connect and browse even faster with improved downloading speeds on mobile websites.
- Consumer VPN: This feature provides enhanced safety and security for your smartphone when connected to public, unprotected Wi-Fi networks.
The update is rolling out now, so may take some time to reach you. For more information head to Lumia Conversations blog.