The Government has announced their new ministerial lineup under Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was returned to office after Australia’s federal election. Greg Hunt (@) is now Australia’s minister for as minister for Industry, Innovation and Science. Previously the minister for the environment, there are opportunities for his old portfolio and his new one to cross over. Back in June this year, Hunt posted about Solastor’s plan for $1.2 billion solar thermal plant in Port Augusta.
When it comes to social media, we’d love our minister for innovation to be active and responsive online and currently Hunt has just 9,106 Like on his Facebook page, but a more impressive 29.8K Twitter followers. His YouTube account started in October of 2008 and has just 25 subscribers, with 13,281 views, its safe to say this wasn’t part of his resume for the new job.
At 51 years old, Hunt is almost double the age of outgoing Assistant Minister for Innovation, Wyatt Roy who wasn’t returned in the election and at 26 needs to find a new career. Hunt has a long list of acolades, including qualifications and occupations before joining the liberal party in 1994 and entering Federal Parliament.
- BA(Hons), LLB(Hons I) (Melb), MA (Yale).
- University Prize, Final Year Thesis, Melbourne University; Yale Fellowship; Schell Centre for Human Rights Fellowship, Yale Law School.
- Captain, Australian Universities Debating Team 1990.
- Articled Clerk, Malleson Stephen Jacques 1991-92.
- Associate to Chief Justice of the Australian Federal Court 1992.
- Fulbright Scholar and Teaching Assistant, Yale University 1992-94.
- Senior Adviser to the Leader of the Opposition, AJG Downer, MP 1994-95.
- Senior Adviser to the Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs, AJG Downer, MP 1995-96.
- Senior Adviser to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, the Hon. AJG Downer, MP 1996-98.
- Chief, Australian Electoral Observer Mission to Cambodia 1998.
- Senior Fellow, Centre for Comparative Constitutional Law, University of Melbourne 1998-99.
- Engagement Manager, McKinsey and Co 1999-2001.
- Director of Strategy, World Economic Forum, Geneva 2000-01.
Oh yeah, he’s also an iPhone user and Pokemon player.
— Greg Hunt (@GregHuntMP) July 14, 2016