Today in Melbourne and soon around the country, Taxi drivers are striking against Uber. They’ll tell you the service is illegal and unfair because they don’t pay a ridiculous $30-$40K price tag for a plate. In reality, technology and a better service has arrived and their protests are little more than sour grapes. This is the transport industry’s version of patent trolls, you can go down that path if you like, but you’re time would be far better innovating your way out of the problem, instead of trying to live in the past.
If you’re not familiar with Uber, it’s a better version of taxis with financial transaction in-car (thanks to Braintree), no redundant operator (that you get charged for), GPS location tracking so you know when your driver is approaching and rating system. The cars are cleaner, the drivers are nicer and if you want, you can control the playlist during the ride via Spotify. Uber is now available in more than 60 cities across the globe and is here to stay, it’s time they get used to it.
If the Taxi companies want to lobby the government over anything, it should be the exorbitant prices of their licences, they are excessive and hard to justify.
— katie hodge (@katiehodge) September 10, 2015
We believe the best judges of Uber are the people who have actually tried it, and we want to give everyone that has access to Uber that chance – for free!
As a response, Uber is offering free rides to new users of the service not only today, but for the next week.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
- Download the UBER app on an iPhone, Android or Windows device, and create an account.
- Enter the promo code “KEEPOZMOVING” when prompted (Try it now, it’s locked in).
- Check the ETA, ‘REQUEST’ when you need a car, and enjoy the ride!
This is your chance to join millions of Australians who have taken a safe, affordable and reliable ride with Uber. That way you can make up your own mind about the service we are so proud to offer the people of this country.
– Valid between 10.00am Thursday 10th Sept and 11:59pm Thursday 17th Sept 2015
– Only available in cities where uberX currently operates
– Find out if Uber operates in your city here
– Valid for one free ride (up to $30 off)
– Valid in Australia only
– New users only
More information at Uber.